Skip to main content

it's been far too long

wow. i hadn't realized how long it had been since i have posted anything on my blog....too long. as most bloggers do, i tend to use this space as my "external journal" if you will and i didn't realize how much i had missed it until i thought about all the stuff i could write about.  i guess that means i have some catching up to do then. hehe. well let's start with this:


yuck. i don't like this one bit. it happened across the street from me. literally. the address the shell casings were found at is directly across the street. while i do not like this most recent shooting it does not make me feel unsafe in my neighborhood. perhaps i should be since it happened while it was still light out but i know that these shootings are targeted.  not that innocent people don't get hurt sometimes, yet is that a reason to live in fear? similar to my last posting i think life is too short for that. i will still take the dog for a walk around the neighborhood and in the park. i will still sit on my front porch and drink coffee (or wine if the mood strikes me) and read a book. i think the minute we let fear dictate our lives is the minute we essentially are giving up.

write before writing this blog, i read the comments that were posted on the Enterprise's website about this most recent incident.bad idea. i get so frustrated and annoyed with those commentators that i just wish the Enterprise would remove their comments section! ugh. people are rude and ignorant. they speak without knowing what it is they are talking about. several times i have thought about commenting to tell them this however i stop myself because i know they would just relish in the fact that their comments were affecting me. they mock Brockton Police, they mock the kids, and they even mock the people who choose to live here (i.e. ME).  they say they know that good happens here too but the bad outweighs the good.  oh yeah? well where were they then when i had the honor of bringing a supposedly "bad" kid to the school committee meeting this week so he could receive an award for winning second in the whole entire state in a mock stock market project??  He had a yield of almost 40% and he is only in 8th grade...he'll be my stock adviser some day. hehe.

where were they when i watched a kid carrying the flag with the rest of Brockton High's JROTC program at opening day at the Rox game. this kid...who's brother was murdered because of gang violence has purposely chosen a different path for his life than gangs and he talks about wanting to be a chef or even a doctor.

Such neigh-sayers are at home reading only the negative news stories. I have the privilege of working with awesome kids every. single. day. i know i only mentioned two stories here, but i seriously could tell you amazing stories all day long. the population i work with can be tough to handle some days (and sometimes i want to rip my hair out, scream, or even just go home) but every one of those kids has "awesome" inside of them. it is up to us as a City to show them how to pull it out. Remember "it takes a village to raise a child"? well, neigh-sayers, get off your couch, out of your house, and actually contribute to this city. stop hiding behind the computer, roll your sleeves up and help us fight the good fight.

i say that it is the good that outweighs the bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gratitude

Did you know that Stress has implications on our physical health?! I know crazy. Every Monday I get these emails from the HR department at work with tips on how to destress and sometimes they really resonate with me; well today was one of those days. Today, the reminder was to show gratitude for what we do have which, I realize, for some of us that might be easier than for others. But, what if, even when it seems impossible or really, really hard we push through the negative and focus on just one thing that we can show gratitude for? That doesn't necessarily mean that we are happy or that everything (or even anything!) will change. It means that we can be grateful for one thing...even if it does not shift our immediate mood or make us feel good. We live in a society that encourages us to live life based on our feelings so I realize I'm pushing against the very grain of society and that this might be uncomfortable for people. But stay with me. There's so much research on the...

We Begin Again

It's literally been years since I updated this blog. Wow. Not that I have a following or anything, but really I enjoy writing out my thoughts - it helps spark my creativity, my love of thinking, and, well, no one can interrupt my words. 😏 So, I thought it was about time to put pen to paper (well, fingers to keys to be more literal) and get this thing up and going again. What better time to restart this thing than during a lockdown, right?! Plus, my mom actually reminded me about it cause, truth be told, I probably wouldn't have thought about it otherwise (thanks, mom). In trying to narrow down what I wanted to write about (that's really the hardest part for me is just picking a topic!) I decided I needed to just start with a title. Well, when I finally did, that's when all the thoughts started coming to me. I was really trying to figure out how to re-introduce my blog to you all so I figured "We Begin Again" was a decent title, but after I wrote it, I start...