Skip to main content

Sun, Sand, & Boats

i LOVE summer. this is a fairly new love for me, i used to be a fall/winter kind of girl but not anymore. like right now as i am sitting in my house listening to the heat kick on I am cold...and that's with a blanket over my lap too. i wish i could open the window and listen to the birds chirp outside and feel the warm breeze on my skin. doesn't that just sound so inviting?! i keep reminding myself that it is just around the corner and with the beautiful 60 degree weather we have been having (minus the past few days of solid rain), i am starting to believe it.




my love of summer began when my family bought a cottage on west 
island. it is one of the most peaceful places to be. we can just grab our towels and walk down to the beach. writing about it, i can almost feel the sun warming my skin while i sit on the beach. hmmm...

one of my favorite things to do is ride out on my dad's sailboat. i am much more of a power boat girl, but i'm certainly not going to give up a ride on the water no matter what kind of boat it is (really, who would?). there is just something that speaks to my soul when i'm "out at sea"; it gets in your blood. my favorite thing is to feel the wind through my hair, and the occasional splash of water from the waves. love it. 


i wish i could say that i grew up going to west island, but we just started going a few years back when i was in undergrad at ENC (about 6 or 7 yrs ago). my parents literally found the island by accident while driving up and down the coast. it's sandwiched between new bedford and mattapoisett so there is great shopping and restaurants right down the road. the best part of the island is that 70% of it is conservation land: there are only about 100 year long residents and 300 seasonal residents which take up the remaining 30%. it's a small place but it is great to go to get away from the daily grind


if you haven't been you should definitely come...it's always an open invitation and i have to admit, i make great margaritas that you should come and try! and maybe lee (a.k.a. dad) will even take you out on the boat)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

it's been far too long

wow. i hadn't realized how long it had been since i have posted anything on my blog....too long. as most bloggers do, i tend to use this space as my "external journal" if you will and i didn't realize how much i had missed it until i thought about all the stuff i could write about.  i guess that means i have some catching up to do then. hehe. well let's start with this: Police: Gunfire exchanged between vehicles near Brockton playground - Brockton, MA - The Enterprise yuck. i don't like this one bit. it happened across the street from me. literally . the address the shell casings were found at is directly across the street. while i do not like this most recent shooting it does not make me feel unsafe in my neighborhood. perhaps i should be since it happened while it was still light out but i know that these shootings are targeted.  not that innocent people don't get hurt sometimes, yet is that a reason to live in fear? similar to my last posting i think ...

Gratitude

Did you know that Stress has implications on our physical health?! I know crazy. Every Monday I get these emails from the HR department at work with tips on how to destress and sometimes they really resonate with me; well today was one of those days. Today, the reminder was to show gratitude for what we do have which, I realize, for some of us that might be easier than for others. But, what if, even when it seems impossible or really, really hard we push through the negative and focus on just one thing that we can show gratitude for? That doesn't necessarily mean that we are happy or that everything (or even anything!) will change. It means that we can be grateful for one thing...even if it does not shift our immediate mood or make us feel good. We live in a society that encourages us to live life based on our feelings so I realize I'm pushing against the very grain of society and that this might be uncomfortable for people. But stay with me. There's so much research on the...

We Begin Again

It's literally been years since I updated this blog. Wow. Not that I have a following or anything, but really I enjoy writing out my thoughts - it helps spark my creativity, my love of thinking, and, well, no one can interrupt my words. 😏 So, I thought it was about time to put pen to paper (well, fingers to keys to be more literal) and get this thing up and going again. What better time to restart this thing than during a lockdown, right?! Plus, my mom actually reminded me about it cause, truth be told, I probably wouldn't have thought about it otherwise (thanks, mom). In trying to narrow down what I wanted to write about (that's really the hardest part for me is just picking a topic!) I decided I needed to just start with a title. Well, when I finally did, that's when all the thoughts started coming to me. I was really trying to figure out how to re-introduce my blog to you all so I figured "We Begin Again" was a decent title, but after I wrote it, I start...